I don't know why Andrea wasn't in the CAL today so I couldn't have a conversation class. But, as I really can't afford to waste CAL hours I decided to work on my vocabulary for the amount of time that I should have spent in the class. To do this, I picked up the Catalonia Today (I really believe that its format shouldn't have been changed, really sad) of the 20th of November and I read it carefully. I also got a dictionary and started to look for the words. In general, I had no problems but the opinion articles were a bit hard. I have written down the words I couldn't understand and its meaning as well as a pair of things I wasn't able to find. If you could help me with them I would be grateful.
Ubiquitous: present anywhere
Burden: to create a problem or serious responsibility to someone
To Dither: To be unable to make a decision about something
Thuggish: behaving in a violent way
ruthless: willing to make other people suffer so that you can achieve your aims
bereft of something: lacking something that you need
cropper: to faig or get into trouble
chasm: a very big difference between two things
dusk: the period of time at the end of the day just before it becomes dark
ruffle feathers: to make someone feel worried or annoyed
backlash: a strong, negative and often angry reaction to something that has happened
bleak: without any reasons to feel happy or hopeful
The two expressions I couldn't find were:
Slacks that hold a crease
Sheaf-loads (when talking about where Franco killed Republicans)
Time Spent: 1:30h
dimecres, 3 de desembre del 2008
Subscriure's a:
Comentaris del missatge (Atom)
4 comentaris:
Albert, check this link where you'll find some references to "sheaf" (point 11):
http://everything2.com/e2node/Call%2520For%2520Fire
As for 'crease' :an angular or rounded shape made by folding; "a fold in the napkin"; "a crease in his trousers"; "a plication on her blouse"; "a flexure of the colon"; "a bend of his elbow"
I need to know the context of 'holding the crease'though! In what context was it used?
I'm sorry you couldn't do conversation but as you said whenever this happens, please spend you time doing some other activity as you did this time.
The context was describing a mormon. I couldn't find anything similar to that in the dictionary. I searched by both words, but I couldn't understand it.
Albert, I forgot to tell you last week but we had the second appoitment last Wednesday at 12.30 according to my timetable. Can you please check that? Thanks!
I'm nearly sure about that. I completely forgot it. Could we meet another day? I'm sorry.
Publica un comentari a l'entrada